Personal Injury Blog

What Can I Recover for My Lost Wages in An Auto Accident Case?

By: Matthew Tievsky

Car crashes cause injury, and injury can put you out of work for a period of time – even permanently, in a very serious accident. You may have to take time off due to pain, or miss hours due to doctor’s visits. As terrible as it is to say, you may become unable to work. Alternatively, you may have to find a different line of work if you become disabled, or you may not be able to do your old job as effectively (for example, if you suffer impairments after a traumatic brain injury). In that case, what can you do to obtain compensation for someone else’s negligence causing an auto accident?

Maryland Car Accident Lawyer

One avenue available to you in Maryland, is Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”), which is a type of insurance. If you purchase this insurance ahead of time, and you are injured in an auto accident, you are entitled to a certain amount of money automatically, for your lost wages (even if you were the person at fault).

In addition to, or instead of, PIP benefits, a personal injury claim against the wrongdoer can also be used to compensate you for your losses. You are entitled to compensation for time you’ve previously missed from work – even if you used leave to avoid losing wages. (The law ignores the leave, and treats you as if you really missed days and lost wages as a result of your injuries.) You are also entitled to compensation for any future loss in wages that can reasonably be proved, although this may require the testimony of a medical expert (to testify about the severity of your injury), a vocational rehabilitation expert (to testify about how your injury affects your participation in the work force), or both. The law enables you to obtain full compensation for all of the employment-related damages you provably suffer.

If you have any questions about what you can recover for job-related losses following an auto accident, you should contact the personal injury attorneys at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., for a free consultation.