Every case is different. Settlements and verdicts in all cases depend on various factors and circumstances which are unique to each individual case. Past case results are not a guarantee or prediction of similar results in future cases.

Personal Injury Blog

  • How to Bring a Maryland Auto Accident Claim When You're Hurt on the Job

    Posted By Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata, Siegel, P.C. || 9-Apr-2015

    By: Matthew Tievsky

    In Maryland (like most jurisdictions), generally, when you are hurt on the job, your remedy is to bring a claim under Maryland's workers compensation laws. These laws are supposed to provide you speedy compensation, but the amount of the compensation may be capped. The workers compensation laws are also exclusive, meaning if you are injured on the job, you cannot bring a lawsuit against your employer or a co-employee. So, for example, if someone else at your company negligently injures you during the work day, you have a workers compensation claim against your company, but you cannot sue your co-worker.Maryland auto accident lawyer

    However, worker's compensation does not apply, when you are driving from home to your workplace, or from your workplace to your home. (This is called the "coming and going rule.") In other words, this travel is not treated as being on the job.

    In addition, if you are on the job but someone who is not a co-worker injures you, then you have both remedies available: You can bring a workers' compensation claim, and file a lawsuit against the wrongdoer. So, for example, if you are driving from one workplace to another, but during the trip a stranger runs a red light and hits you, then there are two types of claims that you can bring.

    If you have been injured in an auto accident and want to know if you have a workers compensation claim, a personal injury claim, or both, then you should contact the personal injury attorneys at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata & Siegel, P.C., for a free consultation.

Free Case Evaluation

Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the information below to request your consultation.

Send Information