By: Matthew Tievsky
On November 16, 2016, a fire in a food truck parked in the area of George
Washington University, injured the three employees who were working the
truck. All three were rushed to the hospital and are expected to survive,
although one employee suffered critical burns.
The truck, named Falafel Bus, was selling Mediterranean fare while parked
on H Street NW between 21st and 22nd streets, in front of the Gelman Library.
Falafel Bus was parked in a line of several other food trucks that are
popular among George Washington students.
Following an investigation, the D.C. fire department has concluded that
the fire actually began just outside the truck, then spread inside. One
of the employees was refilling the truck’s gas generator, while
the vehicle was running and food was being served. This violated D.C.
fire regulations, which require that during refueling a food truck must
be turned off and must not be selling food.
Although no George Washington students were hurt, students did start an
online campaign which has raised $7,500 to help the injured workers. If
you are injured as a result of an explosion or other preventable fire,
please call a Washington DC personal injury lawyer at Chaikin, Sherman, Cammarata
& Siegel, P.C. The first consultation is always free.